New Hyde Park Dog Bite Lawyer
While the majority of dogs live up to their reputation as “Man’s Best Friend,” there are some canines that are dangerous and prone to attacks. Statistics from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reveal that around 4 million dogs bite every year nationwide, and almost 330,000 of these victims will need treatment at the emergency room. Dog bite injuries are unique injuries in that they often require extensive reconstructive surgery, as well as causing extreme emotional consequences.
Under the circumstances, it is wise to consider legal options to help recoup some of these losses if you were hurt by a dangerous dog. You may qualify to recover compensation, and our team at Giuffre Law Offices, P.C. can assist with the process. Please contact our office to set up a free consultation with a New Hyde Park dog bite lawyer who can explain your remedies. It is also helpful to review some basic legal information about your rights.
Summary of New York Dog Bite Laws
New York is a mixed jurisdiction for purposes of dog bites and animal attacks, combining concepts of the “one-bite rule” with strict liability. As such, you should keep in mind three key concepts:
- The owner is strictly liable for all medical costs when a victim is injured by a dog bite, regardless of whether the animal’s dangerous propensities were known. You do not have to show fault, but you cannot obtain compensation for pain, suffering, and related losses.
- To obtain amounts for pain and suffering, you must be able to show that the owner knew the dog was dangerous before it bit you. This concept is the familiar one-bite rule.
- Negligence is NOT grounds for compensation in New York dog bite cases, unless the misconduct is a direct violation of a state law.
Our team at Giuffre Law Offices, P.C. has in-depth knowledge of the laws covering these three areas, so we develop a strategy that ensures you get fair, reasonable compensation for your losses.
Monetary Damages for Dog Bite Victims
In many cases, you will seek compensation for dog bite losses by filing a claim with the owner’s insurance company. If the owner’s policy does not cover these incidents, or you cannot reach a settlement with the insurer, you may need to sue in court. Our New Hyde Park dog bites attorneys are prepared for all contingencies, and our goal is to obtain full amounts for:
- Medical costs for treatment, including cosmetic or reconstructive procedures;
- Lost wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional anguish, which can be considerable based on the effects of scarring and disfigurement; and
- Many other losses.
Our New Hyde Park Dog Bite Attorneys Will Fight for Your Rights
As you can see, cases involving dog bites and animal attacks are more complicated than you might expect. Instead of putting your rights at risk, count on our lawyers at Giuffre Law Offices, P.C. to pursue those responsible for causing your injuries. To learn more, please contact our office to set up a free case evaluation.